Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What do do when they don't want what you've cooked?

This one used to run me around like a short order cook. One minute, they ask for something specific. By the time it's ready, you hear a chorus of: "I don't want that!"

Well, I'm guilty. I used to fall into the trap of answering, "Well, what do you want?"

No More!

I read something that changed my life, and made my daughter and I reach an understanding. This is the meal I affectionately refer to as "The Alternative."

A. You eat what we are eating - and by "We" I mean me, and whoever else wants what I've made. (Could be, but is not always Perry and Ellie.)

B. You get cold cereal.

I told Rachel that for the first time last night, while I presented her with Soup Night. She balked. We didn't have Chicken Noodle. (I'm aghast. I always have Chicken Noodle in the house. Except for last night. So, she was left with the option of Tomato, which she doesn't care for, and I KNOW that.)

Therefore, I said. Fine. No more throwing an endless supply of hot dogs at the girl. No more wasting money throwing away half of a kid's frozen dinner after she's picked at the chicken nuggets. If she doesn't eat the dinner I've served, she gets a nice bowl of cereal with milk.

And know what? She grinned at me. She chose her honey nut cheerios, and she went to town on them. At a whole bowl and asked for seconds, with a glass of orange juice. Well balanced in the morning, well balanced at night, too. WITHOUT THE FIGHT!

I'm on cloud nine. So, whoever the mom who gave me that idea, many thanks! It works!

No comments: